Welcome to the Palace Cafe, which has been serving Ellensburg and its visitors for over 100 years.
Mr. S. C. Smith began the downtown family tradition of The Palace in 1892 at 312 N. Main, next to the Fitterer building. After five years, he sold the business for just $325 to William B. Price, famous for being “one among the ol’ boys who sets a first class table and thoroughly understands his business.”
In the early 1900s, Thomas Massouras became the new owner at the restaurant’s new site on the corner of 3rd and Main, then a profitable location because of its proximity to the railroad depot.
By the 1940s rail travel had diminished and Massouras sold the restaurant to Ted Wicks who operated The Palace during World War II until closing shop for two years on March 27, 1947.
In 1949 he again lifted the restaurant’s shutters at its present site in the Pearson Building before selling to Marshal L. Remelin a few years later. Mr. Remelin was the sole owner until 1966 when Ted and Agnes Bugni, of the Teanaway Valley, bought the restaurant.
Today, the restaurant is still proudly in the hands of the Bugni family and, as The Palace enters its second century of service, they continue to strive to achieve the highest standards in food and service.
We sincerely hope you enjoy the downtown Ellensburg family tradition.